Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How to Succeed in Hollywood - by Bruce Edwin

I did a meeting with an actress yesterday, and she did everything right. I don't often say that, but this girl did. She was polite, professional, on time, had a reel, asked the right questions, and knew when you stop talking and just listen. She is an expert communicator.

My first advice for actors and models today therefore, is to study communication. Take a class in communication, read books on it, and get it down. Know when to talk, and when to let the other person do the talking. Take turns. Ask intelligent questions, and have answers to questions when asked. And if you don't know the answer, state that you will find out the answer and then find out and follow up.

Always follow up on all meetings with a thank you letter. After I met this actress, within 8 hours, she sent me a thank you letter by e-mail thanking me for the opportunity to meet with me, and expressing how much she wanted to work with me. You may be surprised, but most models and talent do not do that, so that simple act alone will set you apart from the other 99 percent who do not do this. Even better, is a phone call follow up.

Now, after a successful meeting with an agent or manager, and a great follow up, you next need to actually be available by phone and your schedule to do the follow up meeting which may entail signing, a contract, or even a job. So, always return emails fast, return calls fast, and answer your phone as much as possible.

For more free information on How to Succeed In Hollywood, visit my site www.TheHollywoodSentinel.com and go to the table of contents tab on the left and find that article. You can also go to the Archives button and read the other articles of this and more in the back issues. I hope this has helped some of you, and as always, feel free to contact me directly on the front page of The Hollywood Sentinel for any further questions or comments.

Bruce Edwin, Talent Manager
CEO, Starpower Management LLC
www.StarpowerManagementLLC.com

No comments:

Post a Comment